Excellence in Civic and Community Engagement
This scholarship is intended to recognize a high school student who is academically successful, already making a positive difference in their town or neighborhood, and is inspiring others to do the same.
- Be a senior in high school.
- Demonstrate ambition and self-drive evidenced by outstanding achievement in both school and their community.
- Be enrolled in at least one UConn ECE course during the 2023-2024 academic year (any discipline).
- Maintain at least a B or higher in all UConn ECE courses (as recorded on a UConn transcript).
- If a final grade has not been issued, a high school transcript will be assessed for course competency.
The student chosen for this scholarship will receive a certificate of accomplishment along with a $1,000 monetary award for use towards post-secondary education expenses. Funds will be withheld from this award to cover any outstanding balance with the University of Connecticut, to include tuition and fees for students attending UConn, prior to a check being issued.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- An essay describing:
- Community engagement or your significant leadership in an activity that had an impact on your community. The community involvement must have occurred within the past academic year.
- The impact of education and/or your UConn ECE class on your community outreach experience.
- Suggested word count 200 min. – 400 max.
- A resume which includes the name and e-mail address of one reference. Reference must be different than the individual who wrote your letter of recommendation.
- A letter of recommendation from a community leader or administrator of the civic organization you are associated with attesting to your contribution to the community.
- A copy of your current high school transcript, which displays your outstanding academic achievement as well as enrollment in at least one UConn ECE course.
- Be sure that UConn ECE courses are easily identifiable for the committee reviewing your application.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee and judged on the following criteria:
- Impact of service on the community demonstrated by essay and letter of recommendation.
- Longevity of service.
- Originality – Is the community engagement with an existing organization, or was it of the student’s own design?
- The student’s ability to get others involved in the community.
- Academic achievement demonstrated by transcript and resume.
- Financial need.
Applications will be accepted from January 19, 2024- March 9, 2024.
All applicants will be notified of their status by May 2024.