This scholarship is intended to celebrate the academic achievement, creativity, and application of one's UConn ECE experience in the area of Arts, Humanities, or Social Sciences.
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be a senior in high school.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and a potential for future academic and professional accomplishments in a field focusing on the Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences.
- Be enrolled in at least one UConn ECE course during the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Sustain an A average in all UConn ECE courses, in which the student is currently enrolled.
- Have taken, or be currently enrolled in, at least one of the following UConn ECE Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences courses:
AMST 1201: Introduction to American Studies
ART 1030: Drawing I
CAMS 1103: Classical Mythology
CAMS 3101: Topics in Advanced Greek
CAMS 3102: Topics in Advanced Latin
CHIN 1114: Intermediate Chinese II
DMD 1000: Digital Foundation
ECON 1000: Essentials of Economics
ECON 1201: Principles of Microeconomics
ECON 1202: Principles of Macroeconomics
ENGL 1010: Seminar in Academic Writing
ENGL 1011: Seminar in Writing through Literature
FREN 3250: Global Culture in French I
FREN 3268: Grammar and Composition
GERM 3233: Building Language Skills through Culture I
GERM 3255: Studies in 20th Century German Literature
HDFS: 1070: Individual and Family Development
HIST 1300: Western Traditions before 1500
HIST 1400: Modern Western Traditions
HIST 1501: United States History to 1877
HIST 1502: United States History since 1877
HRTS 1007: Introduction to Human Rights
ILCS 3239: Italian Composition & Conversation I
ILCS 3240: Italian Composition & Conversation II
LLAS 1190: Introduction to Latin America and the Caribbean
MAST 1200: Introduction to Maritime Culture
MUSI 1001: Music Appreciation
MUSI 1004: Non-Western Music
MUSI 1011: Fundamentals & Ear Training I
MUSI 1012: Fundamentals & Ear Training II
PHIL 1101: Problems of Philosophy
POLS 1002: Introduction to Political Theory
POLS 1202: Introduction to Comparative Politics
POLS 1402: Introduction to International Relations
POLS 1602: Introduction to American Politics
SOCI 1001: Introduction to Sociology
SPAN 3177: Composition and Reading for Speakers of Spanish
SPAN 3178: Intermediate Spanish Composition
SPAN 3179: Spanish Conversation: Cultural Topics
The student chosen for this scholarship will receive a certificate of accomplishment along with a $500 monetary award for use towards post-secondary education expenses. Any funds due to the student’s University account will be collected prior to issuing a check.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- An essay which will be reviewed by a committee and should include details regarding your academic achievements and plans for the future. You should also describe how your ECE course (or other course in the field) has helped define your college or career goals.
- Submit a document or link to a writing sample, project, photo of artwork, music, etc., created by you, that demonstrates academic excellence or talent in Arts, Humanities, or Social Sciences. Selections will be assessed on originality, mastery of subject matter, and presentation. Your submission will be evaluated based on originality, mastery of subject matter and presentation. Please note the following guidelines.
- Only ONE submission is allowed per applicant.
- Include a short description of your submission and explain why you chose to submit this piece.
- Because UConn ECE course offerings vary by high school, students who have taken at least one of the above courses may use projects from other high school courses as demonstration of academic achievement in the fields of Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences.
- A resume which includes the names and contact information of three references.
- A copy of your high school transcript, which displays your outstanding academic achievement as well as enrollment in a UConn ECE course.
- Be sure that UConn ECE courses are easily identifiable for the committee reviewing your application.
Applications will be accepted from February 12, 2018- March 30, 2018.
All applicants will be notified of status by May 25, 2018.