This scholarship is intended to celebrate the academic achievement, creativity, and application of one's UConn ECE experience in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be a high school senior.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and a potential for future academic and professional accomplishments in a field focusing on STEM.
- Be enrolled in at least one UConn ECE course during the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Sustain an A average in all UConn ECE courses, in which the student is currently enrolled.
- Have taken, or be currently enrolled in, at least one of the following UConn ECE STEM courses:
AH 2001: Medical Terminology
ANSC 1602: Behavior & Training of Domestic Animals
ANSC 1645: The Science of Food
ANSC 1676: Introduction to Companion Animals
ANSC 2251: Horse Science
BIOL 1107: Principles of Biology I
BIOL 1108: Principles of Biology II
CE 2110: Applied Mechanics I
CHEM 1127Q: General Chemistry I
CHEM 1128Q: General Chemistry II
MARN 1002: Introduction to Oceanography
MARN 1003: Introduction to Oceanography with Laboratory
MATH 1030Q: Elementary Discrete Mathematics
MATH 1131Q: Calculus I
MATH 1132Q: Calculus II
NRE 1000: Environmental Science
PHYS 1201Q: General Physics I
PHYS 1202Q: General Physics II
PHYS 1401Q: General Physics with Calculus I
PHYS 1402Q: General Physics with Calculus II
SPSS 1110: Fundamentals of Horticulture
SPSS 1150: Agriculture Technology & Society
SPSS 2120: Environmental Soil Science
SPSS 2520: Floral Art
SPSS 3230: Biotechnology- Science, Application, Impact & Perception
SPSS 3240: Plant Biotechnology
SPSS 3530: Advanced Floral Art
STAT 1100Q: Elementary Concepts of Statistics
The student chosen for this scholarship will receive a certificate of accomplishment along with a $500 monetary award for use towards post-secondary education expenses. Any funds due to the student’s University account will be collected prior to issuing a check.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- An essay which will be reviewed by a committee and judged on the following criteria:
- Academic achievements
- Plans for the future
- Impact of coursework
- Submit a document or link to a writing sample, project, photo of artwork, music, etc., created by you, that demonstrates academic excellence or talent in STEM. Selections will be assessed on originality, mastery of subject matter, and presentation. Please note the following guidelines.
- Only ONE submission is allowed per applicant.
- Include a short description of your submission and explain why you chose to submit this piece.
- Because UConn ECE course offerings vary by high school, students who have taken at least one of the above courses may use projects from other high school courses as demonstration of academic achievement in the fields of STEM.
- A resume which includes the names and contact information, of three references.
- A copy of your high school transcript, which displays your outstanding academic achievement as well as enrollment in a UConn ECE course.
- Be sure that UConn ECE courses are easily identifiable for the committee reviewing your application.
Applications will be accepted from February 12, 2018- March 30, 2018.
All applicants will be notified of status by May 25, 2018.