This scholarship is intended to recognize a high school student who is academically successful, already making a positive difference in their town or neighborhood, and is inspiring others to do the same.
- Be a senior in high school.
- Demonstrate ambition and self-drive evidenced by outstanding achievement in both school and their community.
- Be enrolled in at least one UConn ECE course during the 2018-2019 academic year (any discipline).
- Maintain at least a B or higher in all UConn ECE courses (as recorded on a UConn transcript).
- If a final grade has not been issued, a high school transcript will be assessed for course competency.
The student chosen for this scholarship will receive a certificate of accomplishment along with a $500 monetary award for use towards post-secondary education expenses. Funds will be withheld from this award to cover any outstanding balance with the University of Connecticut prior to a check being issued.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- An essay describing:
- Community engagement or your significant leadership in an activity that had an impact on your community. The community involvement must have occurred within the past academic year.
- The impact of education and/or your UConn ECE class on your community outreach experience.
- A resume which includes the name and e-mail address of one reference. Reference must be different than the individual who wrote your letter of recommendation.
- A letter of recommendation from a community leader or administrator of the civic organization you are associated with attesting to your contribution to the community.
- A copy of your current high school transcript, which displays your outstanding academic achievement as well as enrollment in at least one UConn ECE course.
- Be sure that UConn ECE courses are easily identifiable for the committee reviewing your application.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee and judged on the following criteria:
- Impact of service on the community demonstrated by essay and letter of recommendation.
- Longevity of service.
- Originality – Is the community engagement with an existing organization, or was it of the student’s own design?
- The student’s ability to get others involved in the community.
- Academic achievement demonstrated by transcript and resume.
Applications will be accepted from January 28, 2019- March 13, 2019.
Submit application package electronically to:
All applicants will be notified of status by May 25, 2019.