This scholarship is intended to recognize a high school student who is academically successful, already making a positive difference in their town or neighborhood, and is inspiring others to do the same.
- Be a senior in high school.
- Demonstrate ambition and self-drive evidenced by outstanding achievement in both school and their community.
- Be enrolled in at least one UConn ECE course during the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Sustain an A average in all UConn ECE courses, in which the student is currently enrolled.
The student chosen for this scholarship will receive a certificate of accomplishment along with a $500 monetary award for use towards post-secondary education expenses. Any funds due to the student’s University account will be collected prior to issuing a check.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- An essay describing:
- Community engagement or your significant leadership in a group activity that had an impact on your community. The community involvement must have taken place within the past academic year.
- The impact of education and/or your ECE class on your community outreach experience.
- A resume which includes the names and contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from a community leader or administrator of the civic organization you are associated with attesting to your contribution to the community.
- A copy of your high school transcript, which displays your outstanding academic achievement as well as enrollment in a UConn ECE course.
- Be sure that UConn ECE courses are easily identifiable for the committee reviewing your application.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee and judged on the following criteria:
- Impact of service on the community demonstrated by essay and letter of recommendation.
- Longevity of service.
- Originality – Is the community engagement with an existing organization, or was it of the student’s own design?
- The student’s ability to get others involved in the community.
- Academic achievement demonstrated by transcript and resume.
Applications will be accepted from February 12, 2018- March 30, 2018.
Submit application package electronically to:
All applicants will be notified of status by May 25, 2018.